1. A soil has a liquid limit of 45% and lies above the A-line when plotted on a plasticity chart. The group, symbol of the soil as per Soil Classification is
2. A high efficiency pump is required for low discharge, high head and low maintenance cost. Delivery of water need not be continuous. The pump need not run at high speed. Which one of the following is the correct choice ?
3. For total reaction time of 2.5 seconds, coefficient of friction 0.35, design speed 80 km/h, what is the stopping sight distance on a highway ?
4. What is the use of a station pointer ?
5. The plastic modulus of a section is 5 x 10-4m3. Its shape factor is 1.2 and the plastic moment capacity is 120 kNm. What is the value of the yield stress of the material ?
6. According to ICAO recommendations, what is the rate of elevation correction for the runway above MSL ?
7. The absolute maximum Bending Moment in a simply supported beam of span 20 m due to moving udl of 4 t/m spanning over 5 m is
8. The following steps are involved in making a spigot and socket joint of cast iron pipes used in water supply systems :
1. Tarred gasket or hemp yarn in wrapped around the spigot.
2. The sipgot end is centered into the socket end of the preceding pipe.
3. A joining ring end is placed around the barrel and against the face of the socket.
4. The gasket or hemp yarn in caulked slightly.
5. Molten pig lead is poured and then caulked.
The correct sequence of these steps is
9. Consider the following statements :
A : In masonry, bricks are joined together by cement mortar.
B : Cement mortar adheres more effectively to brick surface than any other material.
10. In the force system shown in the figure, the force CA should be
11. A cylindrical shell made of mild steel plate of 100 cm diameter is to be subjected to an internal pressure of 10 kg/cm2. If the material yields at 2000 kg/cm2, assuming factor of safety as four and using maximum principal stress theory, thickness of the plate will be
12. A plot of land 60°m x 20 m is measure steel tape. If the standard error of length width measurements is taken as ± 1 cm, the standard error of the area of the plot be
13. The graphical condition for equilibrium of concurrent forces is that
14. In a tilted aerial photograph, if the swing is 230°, then the rotation angle is equal to
15. A cold drawn seamless steel tubing subject to internal pressure, has a diameter of 6 cm and wall thickness of 0.2 cm. The ultimate strength of steel is 3600 kg/cm2. The bursting pressure (in kg/cm2) is
16. Which of the following factors are associated with the behaviour of sand mass during earthquake to cause liquefaction ?
1. Number of stress cycles
2. The frequency, and amplitude of vibration of waves generated by an earthquake
3. Characteristics of sand
4. Relative density
Select the correct answer using the codes given below :
17. The ratio of total elongation of a bar of uniform cross-section produced under its own weight to the elongation produced by an external load equal to the weight of the bar is
18. The figure refers to a channel section of uniform thickness of 1 cm used as a beam with the cross-sectional dimensions shown in cm units. If the Moment of Inertia of channel Ixx be equal to 246 cm4 and C be the shear centre, then the value of e in cm is equal to
19. The shear force diagram of a beam is shown in the given figure. The absolute maximum bending moment in the beam is
20. A locomotive has four pairs of driving wheels carrying an axle load of 24 x 104 N. The maximum load that can be pulled if the coefficient of friction is 1/6, is
21. A bar of circular cross-section of diameter D is subjected to a torque T at B as shown in the figure given. What is the angle of twist at A?
22. Consider the following statements regarding Plane Table surveying :
1. It is less accurate than chain surveying.
2. It is not necessary to do accurate centering of plane table for small scale survey.
3. Compass rule may be made use for adjusting the plane table transverse.
4. From the instrument station, resectors are drawn to plot the position of object in the field.
Of these statements :
23. A pin-jointed tower truss is loaded as shown in the given figure. The force induced in the member DF is
24. A particle of mass 3 kg moving in a straight line decelerates uniformly from a speed of 40 m/s to 20 m/s in a distance of 300 m. Before it comes to rest, it will travel a further distance pf
25. For designing end bearing piles of square cross-section in clays having average unconfmed compressive strength of 6 t/m2, the net ultimate bearing capacity may be taken as