1. A steel bar of 5 mm is heated from 15° C to 40° C and it is free to expand. The bar Will induce
2. A body is subjected to a tensile stress of 1200 MPa on one plane and another tensile stress of 600 MPa on a plane at right angles to the former. It is also subjected to a shear stress of 400 MPa on the same planes. The maximum normal stress will be
3. Two shafts 'A' and 'B' transmit the same power. The speed of shaft 'A' is 250 r.p.m. and that of shaft 'B' is 300 r.p.m. The shaft 'B' has the greater diameter.
4. Who was the first ‘Bharath’ award winner from Kerala?
5. The stress induced in a body, when suddenly loaded, is __________ the stress induced when the same load is applied gradually.
6. For a beam, as shown in the below figure, the maximum deflection is .
7. If the slenderness ratio for a column is 100, then it is said to be a __________ column.
8. A masonry dam may fail due to
9. In order to prevent crushing of masonry at the base of the dam, the maximum stress should be __________ the permissible stress of the soil.
10. When a body is subjected to two equal and opposite pushes, as a result of which the body tends to reduce its length, the stress and strain induced is compressive.
11. The bending moment at a point on a beam is the algebraic __________ of all the moments on either side of the point.
12. The maximum diameter of the hole that can be punched from a plate of maximum shear stress 1/4th of its maximum crushing stress of punch, is equal to (where t = Thickness of the plate)
13. Two closely coiled helical springs 'A' and 'B' are equal in all respects but the number of turns of spring 'A' is half that of spring 'B' The ratio of deflections in spring 'A' to spring 'B' is
14. The deformation per unit length is called
15. Who among the following is the first Indian to win the ‘Special Book Award’ of China?
16. In the torsion equation the term J/R is called
17. Strain resetters are used to
18. The torque transmitted by a solid shaft of diameter (D) is (where τ = Maximum allowable shear stress)
19. When a rectangular beam is loaded transversely, the maximum compressive stress is developed on the
20. First nuclear transmutation was achieved by?
21. The point of contraflexure is a point where
22. The simply supported beam 'A' of length l carries a central point load W. Another beam 'B' is loaded with a uniformly distributed load such that the total load on the beam is W. The ratio of maximum deflections between beams A and B is
23. The maximum stress produced in a bar of tapering section is at
24. The energy stored in a body when strained within elastic limit is known as
25. In compression test, the fracture in cast iron specimen would occur along